Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Born to be Wild - FOUR!!

Sunday morning and one more, mostly deserted, beach - this time "One Mile Beach". Daniel and I struck out on our own and explored the point between the bays. I was in search of koalas in the trees and only found a kookaburra (which flew away before I could switch lenses on my camera). Some prime rock climbing awaited at the end and I held my tongue, mostly, while he stretched his long legs over the accidents-waiting-to-happen.


On a tip from the woman at the Port Nelson info center, we headed to the Golf Club for lunch. We had to sign in saying we weren't members of another nearby club, and we were in. While waiting for our chips to arrive, we clearly distinguished ourselves as tourists among the members (aforementioned camera might have given us away), who were extremely gracious hosts! One guy had a relative who played for the Steelers back in the 60s - are you surprised I learned that? On cue, a mob of kangaroos ran across the fairway on Hole 1! No kidding, there must have been 30 of them! We took a little stroll around a couple of the fairways that weren't being played on (it's winter Uncle Tom, which explains why the course wasn't filled on a Sunday morning) and found lots more, including a few joeys checking us out. Kangaroos in the "wild" - mission accomplished.



1 comment:

Colleen said...

Sounds like a fun trip! Reminds me of a recent "random fact for the day":

There are twice as many kangaroos in Australia as there are people. The kangaroo population is estimated at about 40 million.