Friday, September 2, 2011

Melbourne

Walking in the big city - watch your tyres when parking near the kerb!


We spent much of the day in the Melbourne museum or riding the free tourism transportation: bus and tram. In the Melbourne exhibit of the museum we met Phar Lap, a horse whose claim to fame I couldn't quite figure out, and the Big Dipper, a roller coaster from the St. Kilda's Luna Park. I took this photo for Robin, my card carrying roller coaster club cousin, since we disappointed her by not going to the actual park... The coaster cars reminded me of the ones at Idlewild in Ligonier or the Blue Streak at Conneaut Lake. We also learned that Molly is about three wombats tall.



Here's the Australian coat of arms/some official symbol of the country.

Mike gave a talk at Deakin University in the afternoon, so the kids and I went to the Italian district and had hamburgers at a place, we later learned is a chain, called Grill'd. Yeah, I know, I
just cannot bring myself to pay the prices listed for Italian food. As a bonus, we learned some new Aussie words for red heads!


Then, back to the museum, via the playground. Spending a day in a city with kids is challenging, or maybe just not my taste.

Daniel stuck, a la Pooh Bear, in the playground wall. Too many chips with his burger!


We rode all the free public transportation - a tourism bus and the Melbourne City trams - not the fastest way to travel, but we got where we were going (Steven and Jen, this is the place with all the weird driving turns to accommodate the trams).



No comments: