Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bridge Run

The Sydney Marathon was Sunday the 18th. Thousands of crazy fools ran it, or so I read :-). It is part of a "Festival of Races" and I meant to sign up for the half marathon, but by the time I realized the weekend was free for us, it was full, so I signed up for the 9km Bridge Run. The cool things about the Bridge Run, are that you get to run over the Bridge, and, it started at 9AM, instead of 6:20AM like the half marathon. Buses don't run from South Coogee that early on Sundays, so I trekked over to Coogee, caught a bus to the train station and a train to the start of the race at Milson's point, just over the Harbour Bridge. I didn't really have to know what I was doing because the bus and train were packed with runners, so I just followed along.


There is nothing flattering about a self photo, but you can see the Opera House and the Bridge in the background.
I made a friend at the start, Mark, a high school PE teacher who bought a 1971 TransAm from Pontiac, MI AND, more importantly, was willing to take a picture of me during the race running over the bridge! Once again, not very flattering, maybe it wasn't the "self" part of the previous photo...but the bridge is still in the background!

After running in mighty warm weather (close to 70F/20C), I spotted the cheering section just as I neared the finish line at the Opera House - taking pictures of me taking pictures of them taking....


This is the first time we got up close to the Opera House, so we savored it for a bit!
For our post-race party, we took one more trip up the Sydney Sky Tower - Daniel's first time. To get to the elevator to the Sky Tower, you go through a really fancy mall - with pretty darn good window shopping.

No comments: