Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Luna Park

Spring Break for South Coogee Public School!

Mike took Daniel and Molly to the Royal National Park yesterday for some rock scrambling, then to Clovelly beach for an introducton to snorkeling. The introduction was cut short because they were joined in the water by the bluies (bluebottle jellyfish), which are toxic. Daniel accused Mike of being irresponsible for allowing them to swim while he watched guard for the jellyfish - even though Mike got that advice from "an Australian guy there with his two kids."

There are no pictures from these events because Mike knew it would drive me crazy if he didn't take the camera. I think he thinks I need a break whether I want it or not.

Tuesday was my day and we took the bus+train to Luna Park in Sydney, just across the bridge. It has seen its ups and downs over time and I'm not sure if this is an up or a down, but the views are stunning in any time period.
Entrance:

From the Ferris Wheel:

From the Wild Mouse Roller Coaster (they attendant told me to hold onto my sunnies, which was no easy task while taking pictures from the sharp turns!):
There are only about 17 or 18 rides, but that was enough for the target audience. I was a fan of the rooster on the Carousel and the "rides" in Coney Island, where they had giant slides, moving floors to walk through, mirror mazes and a Barrel of Laughs, which did it job for me when Molly went through. I was not such a fan of the Flying Saucer (Round-up for those who know it by that name) because it had pads against your back that I kept sliding off of AND I, sadly, cannot stomach the spinning any more :-(.

By Luna Park rules, Molly needed an adult to accompany her on a few of the rides. This one, she didn't, so I was banished to the sideline.



The family lore prompted Daniel to remind me that not everyone in my family has a history of obeying signs like these. The story of my Grandpa Floyd getting us (cousin Shannon, me and him) kicked off of the double ferris wheel at Conneaut Lake, from his rocking has been passed down to the next generation.
The Rotor is another ride from the Conneaut Lake days, although there Shannon and I were just observers and brave cousin Robin was the rider. The circular room spins around and around and the floor under your feet falls about 3 feet so the force holds you against the fall. The attendant prepped the riders at Luna Park that going sideways was allowed, but not upside down. My stomach and I could barely watch, but Daniel and Molly went twice.

This was Daniel's favorite modern ride - he's in there somewhere...



No comments: