Monday, July 25, 2011

Just like home...or not

Familiar:
  • Today started with the decision to take Charlie to the doctor for a cough gone bad. It started innocently enough, but just like it does on the other side of the world, it turned on us. In addition, he had some nice rashes showing up on his face and legs. Of course, they come and go and they went when Mike got him to the doctor. However, we're in business with drugs so we'll all be better soon!
  • Ruby C's (yes, there are 2 Ruby's) mum at the kiddos' school asked me to help with a fundraiser. Our cake stall will be Friday after school, if you'd like to contribute a cake or buy a treat to help with something I didn't understand. If you've got any suggestions about how to bake without pans, I'll take those too.
  • The kitchen table is covered with papers of things we're supposed to remember to fill in, pay for, put on calendar, email teacher about...
  • I rode my bike to and from work.


Not so familiar:
  • The first word on Molly's spelling list is pram. 1/5 Dickert-Conlins knew what a pram was.
  • Molly wears a hat to school.
  • The libraries here have self-checkout - very cool!! Why don't we?!
  • The sunrise during my run this morning caused me to walk just a bit.
  • The hills on the bike ride are brutal, and I'm only carrying my laptop, not a 45 lb preschooler: Mike's mountain stage of the Tour de France.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Why do they have to wear hats to school? Is there a giant hat rack by the lockers? Have lice discovered the public schools in Sydney? Molly looks incredibly cute in her uniform.

Diane Minard said...

You should make Texas Sheet Cake! I bet they never had that!

Stacy and Mike said...

I looked up a recipe for TX sheetcake, but decided against it for three reasons: 1. we have none of the ingredients 2. I'm nervous about converting things to the metric system - is our measuring cup a metric cup?! 3. I never really like TX sheet cake. The note home today said we could send in cupcakes, jelly cups or yummy biscuits. Biscuits are cookies, and I THINK jelly cups are jello w/ fruit in them. Hmm. Charlie and I will spend tomorrow figuring out what we can contribute.

Dick said...

Flash lights???? I thought they were called torches in proper English????

Heather said...

is a pram a stroller? I am pretty sure I have come across the word before in British lit but not really sure if it means the same there.. How is everyone liking school there?