Thursday, July 21, 2011

Australian Literature

Rain, rain, rain - all day. I couldn't resist a run and I'm guessing the weather is usually so nice here that Sydneysiders don't bother going out when it's miserable, since I was the only one on the trail.

We're holed up inside waiting for it to stop, digging into Australian literature or, in most cases, literature about Australia. The Lonely Planet Australia and Frommers Australia 2011 have so many dog earred pages, we'll never have to leave the house even when the sun returns.


Daniel's been reading a pile of Andy Griffith's books - including Treasure Fever in which "Life is never boring at Northwest Southeast Central School." He also wrote The Day My Butt Went Psycho, but I don't think we've got that classic. Molly and Charlie have Amazing Amelia and Jolly Jack, Scholastic books filled with the letters A and J and Australian references we don't get (YET!). Tonight we started The Magic Pudding Adventures of Bunyip Bluegum by Norman Lindsay, billed as an Australian Children's Classic. Oh, and I'm reading Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country, thanks to the No Time to Read Bookclub in East Lansing.

AND...Daniel brought home 3 Scholastic Book Orders filled with books I haven't heard of. Charlie and I have a full day planned for tomorrow!

Finally, Mike went grocery shopping with Charlie today and Vegamite is in the house. I'm off to read the label now.

Just like Glenhaven Ave:

3 comments:

Amy said...

After you have read through a bunch, will you post a couple of Aussie books that you especially like for kids? I would like to purchase a couple for E and J.

Colleen said...

I'd be interested in what you think of Vegemite. Eric, who will eat anything, has some choice words about vegemite....

Cindy Hunter Morgan said...

Scholastic book orders with books you've never heard of!?! I'm jealous...